GNU Linux ar Linux ?

T
Techtronic
Mindaugas N.
  • 14 Vas '13

To: Techtronic

@Techtronic rašė:
GNU Linux

Kadangi esi Richard Stallman gerbėjas, pamaniau norėsi žinoti jo rekomendacijas.

@Richard Stallman rašė:
I prefer to pronounce it GNU-slash-Linux, or GNU-plus-Linux. The reason is that when you say GNU-Linux it is very much prone to suggest a misleading interpretation. After all, we have GNU Emacs which is the version of Emacs which was developed for GNU. If you say "GNU Linux", people will think it means a version of Linux that was developed for GNU. Which is not the fact.

Stai ka apie tai galvoja elitai:

@Eric S. Raymond rašė:
Some people object that the name "Linux" should be used to refer only to the kernel, not the entire operating system. This claim is a proxy for an underlying territorial dispute; people who insist on the term GNU/Linux want the FSF to get most of the credit for Linux because [Stallman] and friends wrote many of its user-level tools. Neither this theory nor the term GNU/Linux has gained more than minority acceptance.

O Linus nuomone kita:

@Linus Torvalds rašė:
Well, I think it's justified, but it's justified if you actually make a GNU distribution of Linux ... the same way that I think that "Red Hat Linux" is fine, or "SuSE Linux" or "Debian Linux", because if you actually make your own distribution of Linux, you get to name the thing, but calling Linux in general "GNU Linux" I think is just ridiculous.

Na ir pats rms mano taip:

@Richard Stallman rašė:
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Many users do not understand the difference between the kernel, which is Linux, and the whole system, which they also call “Linux”. The ambiguous use of the name doesn't help people understand. These users often think that Linus Torvalds developed the whole operating system in 1991, with a bit of help.

Ka jus manot ?

Rasau siame forume, nes ubuntu forume diskutuoti apie technologijas, history, ar licenzijas yra beprasmes diskusijos.

W
  • 14 Vas '13

Is GNU operaciniu zinau tik Hurd (kuri rodos gal siais metais gaus USB ir Audio palaikyma).
Bet kokiu atveju manau cia jau pats su citatomis atsakei i sita klausima.

T
Techtronic
Mindaugas N.
  • 14 Vas '13

Bet vadinti kaip GNU Linux nera teisinga, nes Linux nera GNU (ta prasme Linux nera kurtas GNU).
O vadinti kaip Linux taip pat stupid, nes tai tik kernelis.
Aisku ir GNU vien vadinti yra stupid...

GNU/Linux yra teisingiausia mano nuomone, bet as nepretenduoju i elitus, o ju nuomones nesutampa.